Wednesday, April 26, 2006
Initial J: Prologue
The stars are shining brighter than any other nights. The city skylight, so sublime, one cannot help but bask in its glorious beauty. The wind in all its glory embraces my being as I stood awed by the majesty that spans out before me. So small, so infinititely minute, the feeling is simply inevitable when one stands upon the shoulder of giants. How shall i begin?
I inhaled deeply from my cigarette. The smoke and night breeze subtlely intermingled to produce a taste like no other. A breather as such from time to time is what I love. Puts one's ego into perspective and soothes the ragged nerves like no other methods.
Tonight Hakone is quiet, but that would not be for long. There is work to be done, timings to be improved and tuning set ups to test.
I took one final glance at the greatness before me as i flick my cigarette valleywards as i follow with my eyes the gentle glow and glimmer of its flame as it descends endlessly into the gapping chasm beyond.
I place my hand gently on the bonnet of my trusted Nissan Skyline R32, its gleaming carbon fibre hood reflecting the glory of the city Skyline behind me. How apt isnt it? But what is important is what lies beneath. Tonight my baby is tuned for high grip. Time to put this set up to test.
As the door slams, a resounding echo chimes out across the valley, that will be all the silence Hakone will enjoy today. I twisted my key in the ignition and the engine purrs to life. The roar that follows after thunders in concert with the rapidly rising RPM meter of my dashboard. I tapped lightly on the clutch pedal as i shifted from gear one to two, two to three and finally four to five. The satisfying gushes from the air intakes teases my ear as the turbo valves open to sate my insatiable appetite for speed.
I feathered the accelerator as i took 2 simple turns, keeping a sharp eye on the rising digits on my speedometer. 170km/h... 180km/hr... 190km/hr... 200km/hr and rising.
"Excellant, optimum speed. 200m from the hairpin, now for a quick revision. Approach corner at optimum speed. Clutch and shift to gear 4 and release accelerator. Jerk steering wheel in desired direction and gently tap the accelerator. Counter steer as the vehicle exits the curve to straighten out the vehicle and floor the accelerator. Shift gear back up to five. Ok. Revision complete. Now be careful not to burnout."
The scenary flies by me as my vehicle surges closer and closer towards the bend. 100m... 50m... 20m...
I tapped the clutch and shifted to gear 4 and swung the steering wheel a hard left. Time slows to a blur as the screeching sound of tyres to road and the groan of the engine diminishes to a mere hum as the world swerves by me........
Posted by Jo